Monday, December 15, 2008

If You Want to be Fast, Ride with Faster Riders

A night searching for warmth in tent city is not the most ideal way to start a day of high speeds. I remained consumed by my stink sack until I heard the first sounds of coffee on the stove. Nothing breaks you out of the ice like hot coffee and of course the Sun. We went through Tech inspection and sign-in followed by the riders meeting and thus it was on. No one in our crew was interested in the first session but I jumped in on the 2nd session so I could putt around and review the track. After 4 laps my tires were coming on temp but my hands were frozen, not good when trying to shift and break. As the day rolled on the temps came up with the speeds and by lunchtime the track was buzzing with anticipation for the second half of the day.

After the lunch break I really began to set up my pace and I felt faster and faster through the tight back sections on the track. I was really surprised by my tires, no more chicken-strips and I could see that I was leaning in alot harder and getting on the throttle early in the corners. I felt as though I was actually riding the bike instead of flailing around like some squid. By the end of the day I was hitting most of the fast lines with confidence but still missing shifts and breakpoints but I was getting closer with each lap.

Sunday started out much the same as the day before except at registration we were moved to the advanced group due to lack of space in the intermediate group. I had a moment of apprehension when I thought of getting in the way of the "hot shoes" guys who were flying on Saturday. But with the practice I had from Saturday I knew I could keep up a pretty fast pace right out of the box, or so I thought. There I was running as fast as I could in 4th at 9000 rpms when out of no where comes the fast boys. It was crazy how much faster they were running and it was at that moment I knew I had to step up or step out. I did a few laps and brought it in to the pits when my fuel indicator kicked on. I went out with a different plan for the next session focusing on greater entery and exit speeds of the tight corners as I knew I didn't have the horses (92 HP) to hang in the faster sections. I actually hooked up with a group of guys for a few laps and that allowed me to see better lines and increase my speed. I learned more in the three sessions on Sunday than any other track day to date.

back of a tractor-trailer in Georgia
Saturday in the pits
Advanced group during a Red Flag (note the speed limit sign)Dad and Mark in discussionThe set upOne handed control set up (clutch, front brake and thumb actuated throttle)

Jennings A Group T1 from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.

Jennings GP T11-T13 from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.




I did get past once by my Dad...
He got me on the outside and when I tried to catch him he just walked......... away.

No comments: