Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Track Day: Roebling Road Racetrack

Monday dad and I participated in the Desmo USA track day at Roebling Road Racetrack in Bloomingdale, GA. The Desmo group is primarily a track club for Ducati and other euro bikes. The track was approximately 2.2 miles in length with a huge straight and 7 corners of various radii but little elevation change. http://www.roeblingroad.com/newgraphics/RRTrack.jpg Despite showers during the night the track shaped up incredibly well for what was my first track day and my dad's return to the track that started it all.

I have to say that it was an incredible feeling (almost teary eyed) to watch dad roll out on the track for the first time in 18 years. I would have loved to be a bee in his bonnet when he came through after his first lap. It had to be something else to catch that feeling again after some many years off the pipe. I would have been perfectly content to watch him all day but I had business of my own to attend.

I felt like a kid in a candy store rolling out for my first laps after all the years being around the sport but never putting rubber down on a racetrack. I planned to take the first session as an orientation working on being smooth in the corners and hit all the hot lines as best I could without wadding it up in the grass. I felt comfortable in the corners, hanging off at speed trying to attack with enough throttle and lean angle to rocket my way through the laps. I started to gather riders up when I could all the while trying to obey the code of conduct for the novice group. Its a mind blowing feeling to rocket past traffic hitting 4th - 5th before collecting the front brake coming into turn 1. I would have been set for the day after my 3rd session but I knew I had no more in me before heading out. Needless to say I can't wait for the next track day and hopefully my "chicken-strips" will be cooked.

The Pits
Pit paddock for Team Ramsbottom
Dad rolling out
Ben coming in after session #1Dad turn 4
Ben 2nd rider inside

The Italian Mafia w/ the Ducati Desmosedici RR
Desmosedici RR on Track (turn the sound up)

No comments: