Monday, December 7, 2009

A Proper Cyclocross Race

East Tennessee weather is impossible to forecast correctly but sometimes the forces of nature set up to surprise even the most staunch skeptics. November came and went with mild conditions where December so far has been a winter reality check. Saturday morning I woke up to approximately an inch of snow covering the grass with additional snow on tap for the Bristol area need less to say I was fired up for the race. The only hitch in my giddy-up was my fitness. I had been battling a pretty good cold the week prior which left my lungs congested to the point I was dry heaving mucus up on the start line. My strategy for the day was to limit my point loss, survive and enjoy the racing. I came in with 6th out of 36 after suffering like a dog, mustering only two pathetic attacks and only having one gear due to a small wreck .

Pulling in to Steele Creek Park
Pre Race Spiral Of Death
CX4 Spiral of Death
(that's me in no mans land @ the right of the frame)
Pics from the 35 and 45 Race
The corner that I wrecked on and jacked up my right shifter
Thank you to Harpers Bike Shop for repairing my mount!
Greg Casteel on the marchLeaders coming into the Run UpGreg Casteel on the run upThe first turn after the run up.
Getting clipped in after the run up was difficult due to the mud and leaves.
Final turn before Start/FinishVideos
Barriers

MSG #5 Barriers from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.

The Run Up

MSG5 Run up from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.

Spiral

MSG #5 The Spiral from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.