The following weekend was the Swank 65! The first Swank 65 I did was in 2006 and after 7 hours and 20 minutes of riding I got pulled from the course due to darkness with about an hour or two of riding still to go. After that I swore I'd never do it again but never is a long time. So after a bit of shit talking by my "friends" I signed up just mainly out of spite but more out of curiosity to see where my fitness was lurking. I mean its not like I'd trained for this other than a couple cross races. But maybe the handful of 30 minute efforts could be just the right amount of training for one of the hardest races in these here part. Besides I didn't ride for 4 months prior to my first Swank.
My goal for this years Swank was to not get pulled, to ride with glory across the finish line, and then curl up and die. I finished 49th out of 136 with a time of 5 hours and 6 minutes. I had two sessions of complete leg lock up that I some how rode out of once I got up and started to move again. I have to congratulate Shawn for his hard fought 10th place finish against a stacked local field.
On a more important note we are about to enter the 3rd trimester! The nursery is coming along and is already the nicest room in our house. The little beastie is already banging on his mommy's belly like a drum and for me, feeling his little kicks is beyond description.
It's Picture time!
1/2 of the Swank 65 parking lot
Crossing the finish line
Farlow Gap12 Hours of the Hill of Turth
Haw Ridge before more rain and darkness
My fellow course marshall Mr. Savage
Here's a little video I made depicting what its like to course marshall inthe rain at night
12 HOT from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.
MSG #3
Running on the beach...
Finally! Here's a little video Seth shot during my last track day.Barber from Ben Ramsbottom on Vimeo.




No comments:
Post a Comment