Monday, July 13, 2009

Chrome Handgrenades and the Rockcrusher

I got up early on Saturday to meet up with Scott for a wake session. The past sessions had been cut short due to technical engine difficulties which we thought had been sorted out with a tune up. So we load up and headed out only to find that the boat stalled coming out of idle. We limped back to the marina to tinker with the engine. But after some serious analysis and a 10:00 beer we loaded the boat and called it.
After special boat time number one I came home and picked up SK and the dogs for some chillin on the water. The lake was quite a bit busier than in the morning as numerous cigarette boats were flying around the water for the poker run was in full swing. We did catch air crossing the biggest set of rollers I have ever seen on a lake much less the open ocean! What is the point in running flat out in an 80' cruiser?

Saturday night I met up with Devin to run down to Hiawassee, GA for the SORCs Rockcrusher harescramble. We both did this race last year in October so I knew it would be a great gauge of progression even though the track conditions were completely different. The 18" on moon dust gave way to loamy singletrack and semi-tracky open sections. My freakout meter was pegged during the first lap and my riding reflected it as I was all over the place trying to keep Devin in sight. I settled down on the 2nd lap only to get in minor tussles with some riders struggling in the singletrack. The third lap went very well as I started to pick up the pace for the 4th lap only to find out that the race was called after three laps. My race strategy was to conserve my energy during the first laps so that I could have a little something for the end but I played it to conservative for such a short race, you race and you learn.

Devin

Ben

No comments: