Monday, October 27, 2008

10th Anniversary of the 12 Hours of Haw Ridge

The annual 12 hours of the Hill of Truth convened this past weekend commemorating the 10th anniversary of the event. I have participated in all but one year since the first running back in 1999. Back in 99' I was a wee sport racer who had returning to Knoxville after a stint in Montana attempting to go to school amid feet of kick ass snow. The first year I raced on a three man team in the open class with Dr. Jim Rivers and someone who's name I have forgotten. I think that first year there were maybe 100 racers but everyone who participated knew that this event had long legs. During the later years of the event I raced in the open class to a few victories one of which was in 2001 when I raced with Ian McCully, Jon Magnuson, and Brian Tankersley. We rocked the race with 17 laps in 12 hours 39mins. I remember that race because out of all the mechanical issues and craziness we still pulled it off with a lap to spare.

The team this year was comprised of Jon Magnuson, myself, DJ Angland, and Matt Edmonds. We decided on the Wednesday before the race that we would race for fun and nothing more. Surrounded by a compound of long time friends and people who you always see at the 12 hours of HOT the kegs tapped, the cannon fired and the laps began.




No comments: